How to Draw a Floor Plan
- Create a simple room sketch
- Label wall segments, doors, windows, openings, closets, stairs, etc.
- Measure each segment, and mark accordingly in a key
- When measuring doors and windows, include the decorative trim.
- Double check measurements to ensure that everything adds up (combine every element that is on the same wall, and make sure it equals the full length of that wall).
*Click image to enlarge*
How to take the best photos
To take the most helpful photos, shoot from each corner and wall into the center of the room(s). It’s even better if you can see some of the ceiling and floor from each angle.